- How many different openers can you control with the Genie Universal Remote?
With the Genie Universal Remote, you can control a combination of up to 4 different garage door openers and/or gate receivers. Each of the 4 buttons on the remote programs individually of the others so having multiple brands of openers controlled by a single remote is not a problem.
- Does this remote come with a visor clip or keychain option?
Each Genie Universal Remote comes standard with BOTH a visor clip or keychain option inside every box for maximum convenience.
- Are the buttons on the Genie Universal Remote pre-programmed?
Each of the 4 buttons on the Genie Universal Remote are pre-programmed with a popular opener manufacturer for your programming convenience. If you are not working with one of those brand openers or desire a different button setup than what is pre-programmed, no problem! You can easily change your button layout to your preference by using alternate programming methods. See your remote instruction for further details.
- What kind of batteries does the Genie Universal Remote use?
The Genie Universal Remote uses a single CR2032 coin cell battery. You can access this battery by removing the Phillips head screw on the back of the remote with a screw driver and then use a small coin (if needed) to pop open the case.
- What openers are compatible with the Genie Universal Remote?
Any of the Genie Universal Remotes can control the most popular brands of garage door openers and gate receivers such as Genie®, Overhead Door®, Chamberlain®, Linear®, Wayne Dalton®, plus many more!
Overtime, we will implement additional manufacturers which means the compatibility list can and will change.
You can use this link to find the most up to date compatibility chart.
- Will the Genie Universal Remote work with ANY brand/specification?
For rolling code brands/specifications, no, the remote will not work on any other brands/specifications other than what is listed on the compatibility chart.
- How do I clear out the Genie Universal Remote and return it to factory settings?
If you used the ‘QUICK START METHOD’: You must clear these in the same manner you would clear original transmitters from the head. Please consult your opener manual for instruction.
If you used the ‘LEARN METHOD’ or ‘TEACH & PAIR’ (‘cloning’): On the universal remote, press and hold down button #3 while pressing button #4 - four times. The blue LED will give a long blink and then go out.
If you have only one opener, you may also (for all methods) simply program over of what has previously been done.
- When I press the universal remote buttons excessively, sometimes the white LED lights with every button press and the remote doesn’t seem to be responding.
Leave the remote untouched for approximately 2 minutes or remove the battery and re-insert.
- What is the “Teach & Pair” (or “cloning”) feature and what do I need to do to use it?
The “Teach & Pair” (or “cloning”) feature is just another option offered to create an additional remote. To use the “Teach & Pair” (or “cloning”) feature for programming, an existing operational remote is required. The user can put the Genie Universal Remote into a ‘pairing mode’ – the user then presses a button on the existing working remote while the Genie Universal Remote “listens”. The Genie Universal Remote is then able to repeat back what it heard, “cloning” your existing remote transmission. Programming the remote to the opener head is still required to complete the process for rolling code products.
- I am having trouble with the “TEACH & PAIR” method – the universal remote does not seem to recognize the operational remote transmission.
Be sure to vary the distance between the universal remote and the operational remote. Try touching them together, also try up to 4” apart. Always put the operational remote to the side of the universal transmitter with button numbers 1 and 3 for best results. See the PDF version below for more information.
- When working with Chamberlain®/LiftMaster®/Craftsman® Yellow Learn Button units, I am having trouble programming the universal remote to the operator head/receiver.
When programming a Chamberlain/LiftMaster/Craftsman operator with the yellow learn button, be sure to follow the specific programming instructions for these units. After preparing the remote to receive a yellow learn button unit, on the garage door opener:
1. Press the yellow LEARN button for 2-3 seconds and then release
2. On the remote, press and release the pre-set button OR the button you just programmed once every 2 seconds until the garage door opener operates. Let it run until it stops.
TIP: Allow the LED light on the universal transmitter to stop flashing before your next button press.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above.
4. Test the button - programming is complete.
- When working with Marantec® products, what is the best method to program with?
If you have no other remotes or keypads that you are using with the operator, the LEARN method will work and you will program to the head as the instructions indicate. If you have additional remotes and/or keypads that you use with the operator, you should use the TEACH & PAIR method only to alleviate the risk of interfering with products already programmed and working. For this scenario, you will not program the remote to the operator head.